In November 2016, Ontario passed a new law entitled the Invasive Species Act, 2015. The law aims to regulate activities that could impact two types of invasive species:
- Prohibited Species: Are species which are not currently found in, or, reproducing in Ontario
- Restricted Species: Are species currently found in Ontario, but activities that could transport or deposit these species require some type of management.
The act identifies prohibitions and restrictions on invasive species, which include:
- transporting an invasive species into Ontario,
- propagating or deposition of an invasive species, and;
- transporting certain invasive species into provincial parks or conservation areas.
We are required to consider this act in natural environment assessments, and to make recommendations to prevent the transport or deposition of any of the listed species during project activities.