Blue Heron is seeking an Environmental GIS Technician to support our environmental consulting team with basemap creation, development of site plans, report drawings, and management of environmental spatial data collection for our existing and perspective clients. This work will focus primarily for mining projects and mining operations across Ontario and will be an integral role to help in supporting environmental consulting activities.
The successful candidate would report to the Senior Project Manager / GIS Lead.
- Leading environmental compliance / management system audits;
- Development of topographic map deliverables for various types of environmental consulting projects;
- Updating spatial databases and data sources;
- Strong understanding of coordinate systems;
- Quality check of field maps and field data for quality control/accuracy;
- Working on the integration of automated field data collection tools with QGIS software;
- Providing remote assistance to field personnel in terms of data management and GIS/mapping;
- Performing other duties as required (assisting with report writing, fieldwork planning, and proposal writing); and
- Managing project budgets.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may vary depending on the needs of our clients and our company.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of 2 years of GIS experience within the natural environment field;
- Post-secondary education in GIS / Geomatics is required. A preference will be given for individuals who focused their GIS / Geomatics education and experience in the environmental sciences;
- Proficiency with QGIS software is required;
- Good understanding of how to read and develop site plans;
- A working understanding of environmental regulations in Ontario is recommended to facilitate the development of appropriate drawings to support consulting reports and environmental permit applications;
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including the possibility of field work under a variety of conditions;
- Strong computer, verbal, analytical, and written communication skills;
- Excellent organization, prioritization and time management skills;
- Proven ability to work within project budgets, under contracts, and with sub-consultants;
- Demonstrated technical writing and data analysis skills;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a high pace working environment;
- Self-motivated, ability to learn new skills, assume new responsibilities, and work cooperatively in a team environment; and
- Possession of a current and valid Driver’s License.
BLUE HERON ENVIRONMENTAL - THE COMPANY
Blue Heron is an environmental consulting company with offices in Timmins and Sudbury and satellite offices in Red Lake, Ottawa, Thunder Bay, Sault-Ste-Marie, Orillia and Red Rock, Ontario. We serve a rapidly expanding market, providing a wide range of environmental services to the mining, forestry and aggregate sectors as well as a host of other clients.
For more information about Blue Heron visit our website: www.blueheronenv.com
To apply send your detailed resume with references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls please.